About Me

Welcome to a world of third grade students in a learning environment that allows connections as much as possible to the world outside the walls of Colton-Pierrepont Central School. This is an exciting world as a teacher, one where each day is an event to reflect on, what the students brought to the learning experience and what I added through planned instruction and customization according to strengths, needs, and interests.

I have been teaching for the past sixteen years here at Colton, which is a small rural school in the foothills of the Adirondacks, a community with a great deal of pride in its educational institution, the teachers, students, and trends towards a 21st century school. Prior to Colton, I substituted and worked for eight years full time in St. Mary’s School in Potsdam, NY, another awesome school, a mini Crane School of Music School, as I look back upon it. Through all of these experiences I have had a K-12 experience, subbing in middle school math classes long term and then full time middle school, which is where I began in my teaching career. For the past five years, I have been teaching at the third grade level, which I enjoy a great deal for the integration that is possible. Integration of the reading and writing processes across the curriculum is exciting. Incorporating the new technologies has been exciting. And now here I am full force evolving from the green screen to laptops and iPads. What a change and how exciting it has made the process of teaching and learning.

This a third grade class made up of thirteen boys and eight girls with unique abilities, skills, knowledge, and curiosity about the world around them. They have many interests, from ballet, skating, hockey, piano, guitar, dinosaurs, animals of the Savannah, and trains. Scouting is an added plus for the students of this class offering them opportunities for community service and socialization.

Also, becoming an added interest is writing of poetry, while I must confess, it is a unique interest of the teacher, it is contagious and the students are catching on to the joy of writing that a few moments and a few lines can add. Each day we begin our day with poetry and writing of all kinds, by published authors and budding classroom authors and artists.

One of the goals of the blog is for the students in the class to share their writing online, also making their work visible for family members as well.

Follow us as we begin this educational journey with many avenues to teaching and learning for the student and teacher.

5 thoughts on “About Me

1. Hi Carol,

Just want to introduce you to Gnowledge (www.gnowledge.com), the online test publishing platform, and solicit your thoughts and opinions on it.

Gnowledge is free for everyone to use. Tests and exercises can be created by anyone and are categorized by title, subject, grade, school and/or country. Once published, these tests are available for everyone to use and share. Students preparing for exams or who wish improve their knowledge and accelerate their academic progress can search Gnowledge for their desired subject. All test results, scores and answers to every question administered is stored on Gnowledge. Registered users can view their own individual test results any time and the test results of everyone who has taken the tests they’ve created, and these tests and/or results can be shared with others if they choose to do so.

The best example of how Gnowledge is being used and how it transcends language and cultural barriers and education syllabuses is by a French language teacher in Mexico (a Spanish-speaking country). She uses Gnowledge (an English-language website) to produce simple tests and exercises for her students. In two months she has published 50 tests and these tests have been administered to her (and other) students 1,272 times. Scale of this magnitude does not happen in conventional classrooms or schools. Her stats can be independently verified at: http://www.gnowledge.com/saveurfle.

I invite you to check out Gnowledge. If you have any comments, queries or criticisms for Gnowledge, please let me know, your feedback would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
    Aiman Azri

Social Media Specialist
    Gnowledge -www.gnowledge.com
    Create. Share. Learn

2. Thank you for sharing. I will check out the site you shared and will give you my evaluation for use with elementary students. It sounds great. Once again, thank you for sharing. Carol

3. What a nice web site! It was really interesting to check it out!

Please, maybe some of your pupils would like to join the conversation with 10 year old pupils from the north of Sweden!
    They want to learn english and find out more about different cultures by communicating with people around the world! Please leave a comment on their web site:

http://www.ersmark4.se

4. I am certain my students would love to converse with your students. Learning about other countries first hand is enjoyable. Do you Skype? We could try to set up a Skype session?

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We look forward to hearing from you. Mrs. Frego